Friday, August 4, 2017

Welcome!


My name is Sammy High and I couldn’t be more excited to return to Archway Arete this year as your child’s second grade teacher! 

Teaching has always been my passion and this will be my first year in second grade. The joy I find in working with children, as well the mission of Great Hearts is what has ultimately brought me back to Arete. I’m very excited to partner alongside you to serve in cultivating the minds and hearts of your children in pursuing truth, goodness, and beauty. My goal to ensure your child feels welcome, safe, and comfortable in our classroom so that his/her mind is able to flourish! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me throughout the school year. I look forward to building our classroom community of learners and can’t wait to meet all of you!

A little about me . .  .
I was born and raised here in sunny Arizona and could never imagine living elsewhere! I attended Northern Arizona University where I received my bachelors degree in elementary education. I have never met a cup of coffee I didn’t love. This November, I will be getting married and am very, very excited to begin this new chapter in my life! Outside of school I enjoy spending time with my family, woodworking, skateboarding, hiking, and finding new coffee shops with my fiancé.
https://email.schooldeskus.com/owa/14.3.123.3/themes/resources/clear1x1.gif

We are very fortunate to have Mrs. Julie Gerhart as our Assistant Teacher this year and here is a little bit about her!

Hello!  My name is Julie Gerhart and I have the privilege of being your child’s teaching assistant this school year.  It will be a joy to work alongside Mr. High and all of your wonderful children!

I began my education career ~ as a student :) ~  in Wheaton, Illinois where my parents met and married some fifty years ago.  After finishing fifth grade, I moved with my family to Mesa, Arizona where I attended Mesa Public Schools which gave me a high school diploma and the opportunity to meet my husband, Mark.  Returning to Illinois after graduating high school, I received my bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education from Wheaton College and later earned a master’s degree ~ also in Elementary Education ~ from Northern Arizona University.   

Beginning in Gilbert Public Schools teaching in the library and then first grade, I found my passion for teaching.  The classroom varied over the years, from a traditional public school, to a small private one, and also to our own kitchen table where I homeschooled our children for many years.  These experiences lead our family to Great Hearts and Arete where I feel most at home professionally.  

My husband, Mark, and I consider raising our children to be our greatest adventure.  Our oldest daughter, Anna, graduated from the same high school as Mark and I did and will attend Grand Canyon University in just a few weeks, majoring in Forensic Science.  The next three kids came all at once ~ yes, we have thirteen year old triplets ~ Thomas, Elizabeth, and William.  Libby and Will are excited to begin eighth grade at Arete Prep and Thomas will be studying at Stapley Junior High.  The triplets were in all three of the founding fifth grade sections of Archway Arete!

It will be such an amazing opportunity to get to know you and your children this year!

-Julie Gerhart

Important Information for Meet the Teacher Night: We are looking forward to meeting you all Friday evening. Families with last names beginning A-M are invited to join us from 5:30-6:30. Families with last names beginning with N-Z are invited to join us from 6:30-7:30. Students should bring all school supplies. Please keep in mind that Meet the Teacher is more of a meet and greet opportunity. If you have specific concerns regarding your child, feel free to email me so we can schedule a time to meet or talk on the phone outside of Meet the Teacher. I make myself available for these types of meetings the first couple weeks of school.

Classroom Blog: This welcome letter can also be found on our classroom blog! Please take the time to subscribe by email so you can stay informed on important events and curriculum updates. I will be updating the blog every Friday.

See you soon!
Warmest,

Sammy High

No comments:

Post a Comment